A pensioner who caught the superbug MRSA in hospital has been given the go ahead to sue the NHS leading to a mass action by 200 other victims.
Judges have thrown out claims that the health board were not responsible for 74-year-old Liz Miller’s infection.
She is suing Greater Glasgow and Clyde health board claiming that MRSA should be considered a "hazardous substance".
Her legal team argued she should be protected under the government's Control Of Substances Hazardous To Health regulations - usually used to protect employees from toxic chemicals in the workplace.
Now she has been backed by Lords Wheatley, Osbourne and Emslie who rejected a claim that the board could not be held fully responsible for the spread of the bug.
Liz, of Kilsyth, contracted MRSA after going into Glasgow Royal Infirmary for a heart valve op in October 2001.
She will now have a full hearing at the Court of Session next year.
She said: "I'm not doing this for financial gain.
"I want my children and grandchildren to be able to go into hospital and know they'll come out healthier than when they went in."
Her lawyer Cameron Fyfe said: "None of my 200 clients ever wanted to bring these cases.
"The law lords agreed we could use the COSHH regulations in relation to a patient in hospital - the first time it has been used in such a context."